Associate Professor – HDR, Université Grenoble Alpes
IMAG Building, Office 362
STeamer Team, Laboratoire d’Informatique de Grenoble (UMR 5217), (link is external)
700 avenue Centrale
Domaine Universitaire – 38401 St Martin d’Hères
Phone: +33 4 57 42 14 88
Email: Julie dot Dugdale at imag.fr
From 2010 to 2020 I was the head of the HAwAI (Human Aware Artificial Intelligence) Research Team, since 2021 I joined the Steamer research team. I am interested in modelling aspects of human behaviour at the cognitive, work and societal level using an agent-based approach. Often, but not always, my agent-based models are used for simulations. Broadly, my work falls into the domain of Agent based Social Simulation (ABSS).
Following my background in artificial intelligence I am primarily interested in cognition and interaction. Specifically, modelling the cognitive activities of human behaviour, the cognitive supports in our work environment and how groups of people interact in order to accomplish a task. Recognising a work situation as being complex necessarily relates my work to adaptive systems and complex systems theory.
I have applied my work to many areas, but I am particularly interested in emergency rescue, crisis management, and energy management: areas which in themselves bring many interesting research questions.
Keywords: Agent based social simulation, human behaviour modelling, cognition, human interaction, complex systems theory, collective intelligence, crisis management, emergency management, energy management
I am an Associate Professor at University Grenoble Alps (link is external). In 2013 I received my HDR (Habilitation à diriger des recherches) from University Joseph Fourier, Grenoble.
I was an Adjunct Full Professor at the University of Agder (link is external) where I conducted research in the Centre for Integrated Emergency Management (CIEM (link is external)) and taught on the Information and Communications Technology Masters (link is external).
I am also an ex-President of the ISCRAM Association (link is external) (Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management).
From 2003 until 2006, I was an associated researcher in the IIHM Team (link is external) (Engineering Human-Computer Interaction Team) here in Grenoble.
From 1998 until 2006 I was a researcher with the GRIC-IRIT Team (link is external)(Cognitive Engineering Research Team). This was later merged into other teams and was somewhat lost in reorganisation. However, it would now fall into the Interaction, Coopération, Adaptation par l’Expérimentation (ICARE (link is external)) research axe of IRIT (link is external), the Computer Science Research Institute of Toulouse. I still have close connections with people in this axe and continue to work with its members and ex-members.
Before coming to France, I was an Associate Professor in computing at De Montfort University (link is external). I received my Ph.D from the University of Buckingham (link is external) in 1994 in the area of artificial intelligence and the title of my PhD thesis was: “Cooperative Problem Solving using Assumption Based Truth Maintenance”.
- Themes : Human behavior modelling, agent-based social simulation, emergency and crisis management, pedestrian modelling, complex systems theory, collective intelligence
- Projects in progress : SWITCH (funding ANR) 2019-2023, HIANIC (funding ANR) 2018-2022, MMI-SMA-BC (funding IDEX IRS) 2019-2023, Human Behaviour in Seismic Crises (funding AUF) 2019-2021, Risk@UGA (funding CDP IDEX RISK) 2017-2021
- PhD Students :
- ongoing (4) : Morteza Alaeddini, Seif Eddine Bouzianne, Rouba Iskandar, Manon Prédhumeau.
- and in the past (7) : Julius Bangate (2019), Lauren Thévin (2016), Sabri Ghazi (2017), Parvaneh Sarshar (2015), Ayesha Kashif (2014), James Marshall (2002), David Rozier (1998)
- Publications: referenced on dblp or hal
- Teaching :
- Currently: Systèmes Complexes (M2 MIASHS), Intelligence Artificielle et Systèmes Multi-agents (M1 MIASHS), Interaction Homme-Machine (M1 MIASHS), Génie Logiciel (M1 MIASHS), Langages Formels et Calculabilité (L2 MIASHS).
- Previously: Bases de Donées (M1 MIASHS), Computational Cognitive Modelling (M1 MIASHS).
- Web page : http://hawai.imag.fr/content/julie-dugdale